A diverse legume-forb cover crop mix of aggressively growing summer annuals, with possible dual use as a wildlife food plot. The mix includes four very different components—buckwheat, cowpeas, sunflower, and sunn hemp. These species work together to perform several functions during their brief growth period:
- Nitrogen fixation and recycling
- Organic phosphorus liberation and recycling
- Soil organic matter building/ carbon sequestration
- Other nutrient cycling and soil health building
- Summer pollinator and beneficial insect attraction
- Summer weed smother crop
- Disease and nematode break crop
Both conventional and organic growers will find this a useful break crop in between spring and fall crops that builds soil nitrogen levels and attracts pollinators and other beneficial insects. It can also be used in farmscaping strips to draw beneficials throughout the season.
Other summer annuals can be combined with this mix if more diversity is desired, such as sorghum-sudan, millet, or brassicas.